Sometimes, when we're going to head out and try something new, I over pack. I'd rather have something and lug it around rather than not have it and need it.
However, that gets heavy. So I've reduced the list down to what I think are essentials for a mom, a dog, a kid, and a toddler.
This is what we bring in an old hiking backpack:
- Water for us (we often share a large bottle, but sometimes bring individual Klean Kanteens)
- Water for our dog (in an old Nalgene)
- Collapsible dog water dish
- A diaper and a small container of wipes
- Dog poop bags (also good for picking up kid poop - because hiking seems to get little bowels moving!)
- Kleenex or hanky (tissue seconds as toilet paper in a pinch)
- Hand sanitizer
- Snacks! (excellent child motivator when they start to flag)
- Small safety kit
- Decent shoes!
I may get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you order from these links.
Are you looking for adventures nearby? Check out this list!